Main content

City Resources for People with Disabilities

The City of Colorado Springs offers the following services and accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Read the items below for more information. 

Communication Accommodations

Anyone requiring an auxiliary aid, alternative format or other services for effective communication to participate in a program, service, or activity should make the request as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event. The City will generally, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in City’s programs, services, and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters and other ways of making information and communications accessible to people who have speech, hearing, or vision impairments. To request a communication accommodation:

  1. Contact the department or enterprise that runs the program, service, activity (meeting) directly. 
  2. If unsure whom to contact 
    1. Call the general City number 719-385-2489 to assist with proper contact information, or
    2. Submit a request for a Communication Accommodations online

Program Modifications

The City will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in City offices, even where pets are generally prohibited. Please note, the ADA does not require the City to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services, or impose an undue financial or administrative burden. To request a program modification:

  1. Contact the department or enterprise that runs the program, service, activity (meeting) directly. 
  2. If unsure whom to contact:
    1. Call the general City number  719-385-2489 to assist with proper contact information, or
    2. Submit a request for program modifications

Residential Street Sign (Accessible Parking or other Disability Signs)

The City places designated accessible parking signs on streets (right-of-ways) and special “disability” signs for persons requesting signs in front of their residence to foster the needs of those persons with qualifying mobility impairments/disabilities. Learn more about our guidelines or request a sign:

  1. Residential Sign Guidelines; or
  2. Accessible Parking Sign Application; or
  3. Blind/Deaf Child Sign Application; or
  4. Submit a request online for a residential street sign

Accessible Pedestrian Signal (APS) at an Intersection

An Accessible Pedestrian Signal (APS) provides the information that is conveyed in visual walk signals in an audible, verbal, and/or vibrotactile manner indicating the crossing phase to pedestrians who are blind or have low vision. View a list of our current APS locations. 

  1. APS Statement and Request Form 
  2. Submit a request online for an Accessible Pedestrian Signal at an Intersection

Curb Cut/Pedestrian Ramp Modification or Sidewalk Repair

All newly constructed or altered streets must contain curb ramps under the regulations implementing Title II of the ADA (28 CFR 35.151). The Public Works Streets Division manages concrete repairs to City cross-pans, curb and gutter, sidewalk and pedestrian ramps. To request the construction or repair of a curb ramp or concrete sidewalk:

  1. Call 719-385-5411; or
  2. Submit a Street Maintenance Request; or
  3. Submit a request online for ramp modifications or sidewalk repair

ADA Barrier Removal Near Transit Stop

To request that ADA barriers, barriers defined as anything in the city right-of-way that blocks or impedes the passage of pedestrians or persons with disabilities to the transit system. In order to request a barrier be removed that impedes passage to transit "bus" stop please choose one of the following choices:

  1. ADA Request To Remove Barriers Form from Mountain Metro Mobility
  2. Call 719-392-2396, or
  3. E-Mail
  4. Submit a request online for an ADA barrier removal near a transit stop


Mountain Metro Mobility is an ADA paratransit service provided for individuals who, because of their disability, are unable to use Mountain Metro fixed-route bus service. Riders must have a disability that prevents them from using fixed-route bus some or all of the time. Learn more about Mountain Metro Fixed Route and Metro Mobility, or apply for service:

  1. Mountain Metro Mobility Para-Transit Service Eligibility Requirements and Application
  2. Call 719-392-2396 Option #5
  3. E-Mail:
  4. Submit a request online for Para-transit

Architectural Barrier Removal Program

Housing Development provides assistance for home modifications for people with physical disabilities through the income-based Architectural Barrier Removal Program. Modifications can include ramps, handrails, widening door openings for wheelchair accessibility, safety grab bars and certain other modifications. Learn about or apply for our Architectural Barrier Removal Program:

  1. Architectural Barrier Removal Program
  2. Call 719-385-5912, or
  3. Submit a request online for barrier removal

Therapeutic Recreation Program

The Therapeutic Recreation Program (TRP) provides opportunities for youth and adults with disabilities to acquire skills that enable them to participate in leisure experiences and enhance their abilities to function within a community setting. To learn about or apply for a Therapeutic Recreation Program please choose one of the following choices:

  1. Therapeutic Recreation Program, or
  2. Call 719-385-6958, or
  3. E-Mail, or
  4. In Person – 1315 East Pikes Peak Ave (Memorial Park), or
  5. Submit a request online for the therapeutic recreation program

Other Power Driven Motorized Device (OPDMD)

People with mobility, circulatory, respiratory, or neurological disabilities use many kinds of devices for mobility.  People often use walkers, canes, crutches, braces, wheelchairs or electric scooters.  For some, these devices are not optimal for travel or everyday use.  In addition, advances in technology in the last 20 years has given rise to new devices to help people that are not normally allowed at City of Colorado Springs facilities.  Please read the guidance and submit a notification form if you intend to use a motorized device due to a disability if something other than a wheelchair or electric scooter.

  1. OPDMD Guidelines;
  2. OPDMD Notification form;
  3. Contact the Office of Accessibility directly if you have any questions regarding an OPDMD request.  Phone: (719) 385-5175  Email Office of Accessibility

Additional Option for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Citizens

Contact the City via Relay Colorado: 1-800-659-3656 (voice) or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY).You may also Dial 711 throughout the United States to reach all Telecommunications Relay Services; there is no service fee, only applicable charges if calling long distance.

Please Note: The City will not place a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the cost of providing auxiliary aids/services or reasonable modifications of policy.